Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Sherri Shepherd Lets Barbara Walters Know


No No No BaBa WaWa! You can’t say that word! “The View” got a lil crazy Monday after the ladies started to discuss the controversy over Texas Governor Rick Perry’s former camp — the same campHerman Cain went in on him about over the weekend.
Whoopi Goldberg intro’d the topic, explaining the controversy over how Perry’s family and friends visited the camp for years before painting over a rock with the word ‘N*****head’ written on it at the gated entrance of the hunting camp.
As she spoke on the subject, Goldberg used the real ‘N-word,’ reporting how Cain also used the word during his Sunday interview.
Goldberg explained: ‘It’s so hard to know what to say now so I just say the word.’
Walters followed Golderbg’s lead, reporting on the name on the sign. ‘It’s very hard for me to say… It gives me chills,’ she said.
However, as soon as Barbara used the word Shepherd made it clear she was offended by the way Walters said the word, although she was okay with Goldberg’s use of it.
When I heard you (Whoopi) say it, it was fine. You said it a different way. When I heard you (Barbara) say it, I didn’t like the way you said it. Because when you say it, you say (inaudible). And I don’t like (inaudible),’ Shepherd said.
When Walters attempted to open up a dialogue, Shepherd admitted she could not explain why she felt differently about her co-hosts saying the word.
Shepherd added: ‘I don’t know if it’s a semantics thing, but it’s something that goes through my body.’
‘It’s because I’m white?’ Walters asked.
Shepherd acknowledged race was the underlying issue: ‘It’s something about hearing you say it… I don’t like it when you use the word… when you say it it’s a different connotation…When white people say it, it brings up feelings in me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment